Thursday, May 15, 2008

science

Something else I did when I was younger was a lot of easy at home science experiments. One of my favorite ones was putting white flowers in colored water and watching the flower change color as it drank.

Yesterday I could not find any white flowers but we had celery, so I figured that would do in a pinch. The kids had a ball picking out what colors they wanted to use and I explained to them that the celery would drink up the water through the little tubes on the bottom of the stalk and the leaves would change colors.

They didn't believe me.

Here is our celery this morning:

Celery in colored water

This is a really fun and easy thing to do with kids, especially since it doesn't involve anything dangerous/hot/etc.

All you need is a leafy stalk of celery, some drinking glasses, cool water and food coloring!

No comments: